Wednesday 28 February 2018

More on Media Writing

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm taking a module on media writing this semester.

It's probably the subject that I've ever cared about the most in my entire educational journey to date.

I can't pin down the exact reason why. All I know is that I really enjoy it.

So I like to think about how I would write the article when I hear about certain things happening. When I have time, I even craft the actual article and send it to my professor for feedback.

That's how I hope to learn and improve my skills.

Here's an article I wrote about the new veterinary programme offered by NUS and the University of Melbourne.

NUS introduces joint veterinary degree programme with University of Melbourne


SINGAPORE, Feb. 28 (Jonathan's Junkyard) -- For the first time, aspiring veterinarians will be able to complete part of their training locally, starting from August this year.

Previously, those who wanted to pursue a degree in veterinary medicine had to go overseas, as none of the local universities or private institutions offered such a degree.

The National University of Singapore (NUS) announced on its Facebook page on Feb. 18 the launch of a new Concurrent Degree Programme (CDP) run in conjunction with the University of Melbourne (UoMelb).

Under the CDP, students will graduate with both the Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Life Sciences from NUS and the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) from UoMelb in a total of 5-1/2 years.

This is in line with standard practice in the industry, as veterinary degrees are done at postgraduate level and students must possess a basic science degree first.

As students will spend the first 1-1/2 years studying for the BSc at NUS and pay the subsidised fee for local students, the cost of the CDP will be lower than spending their entire candidature abroad.

The remainder of their studies will take place at UoMelb. They will finish the BSc in their first year abroad, paying a subsidised fee to the Australian university. After that, they will focus on earning their DVM. During this phase, they will have to pay the full international graduate student fee.

Applications for the CDP will be open to all Life Sciences students who are in their first or second year at NUS.

###

You heard it here first. As of 27 February 2018, none of the news outlets covered this piece of news, and who can blame them when NUS itself didn't bother to issue a press release about it?

It's such a waste because it's a very newsworthy topic. This vet programme is the pioneering one in the Singapore university landscape. It will benefit people because those who want to become vets will find it easier to do so, logistically and financially speaking.

But their loss. My blog gets to be the first to break this news. How exciting! Sure, it isn't exactly timely reporting because the Facebook post came out two weeks ago, but better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment