Thursday 9 January 2020

Doing the Honours: Returning to school to start my Honours Year in AY2019/20 Semester 2

I'm into my final year of formal education now. On 13 January 2020, I will begin my second-last semester as an NUS FASS student.

My ex-boss, who is also my boss-to-be come 2021 when I join the sovereign wealth fund GIC after graduation, has this advice for picking modules: learn how the world works.

Don't go learn how to write. Go learn about the world, do interesting things, read hard subjects, and then communicate about the world through your writing. Stop wasting time on Journalism School and Communications School, but if you're already knee-deep in it, then learn all the other hard and weird stuff on the side that will animate your writing.
~ Jason Leow, former journalist at The Straits Times and current managing director of communications at GIC and chairman of the Speak Good English Movement. For the record, he did not study journalism at university. He majored in literature at NUS.

So with this in mind, I set about picking modules for the new semester that are more conceptual and worldly rather than vocational and specific. At the same time, I don't like modules that deal with topics that are too abstract. I like to be able to see the relevance of what I am learning in class to reality. I think I managed to strike a good balance with this selection of modules.

Note: All modules are worth 5MCs, graded with standard letter grades, and delivered through weekly three-hour seminars. Regular students can acquire them on the ModReg system, with priority given to CNM majors in SOC4. I was preallocated my modules by the Dean's Office due to my status as a disabled student.

NM4239: Digital Propaganda and Public Opinion
This is one of the "conceptual and worldly" modules. Others were available too, such as one about racial representation in the media and another about sex in the media. But those are not really interesting to me, being confined to niche activists' areas of concern. This module is more interesting because it deals with social and political affairs, which are current, particularly with the General Election around the corner, and affect all of us. Informed citizens should have some understanding of how external parties, especially in this day and age of social media, influence our decisions on hot-button issues and maybe even change our minds without us knowing.

NM4247: Creative Writing in the Marketplace
According to the description on LumiNUS, this module teaches students "the importance of narratives and the techniques of crafting them through personal essays" as well as how to "apply what they have learnt to a narrative video script for a brand or cause". In other words, it's about storytelling, not for the sake of spinning fairytales but for strategic brand-building. This is my indulgence as it is not quite the "conceptual and worldly" module that I should be taking if I follow Jason's advice strictly, but I chose it because I think I will like it and have fun with it.

NM4881A: Topics in Media Studies: Social Media
Another "conceptual and worldly" module I picked for this semester is what I would call the "dark" (or Darth, if you're a Star Wars fan) NM2203. Where NM2203 is all about how you can use social media effectively to build your brand, NM4881A is stuffed with weighty, and at times depressing, observations about how social media impacts, and is in turn impacted by, us as individuals and, on a larger scale, the world around us. In other words, it is about the effects of social media on people and society. With social media being part of our everyday lives, I can see why this knowledge is important and relevant.

NM4238: Software Studies
This is a "conceptual and worldly" module from the realm of computational social science. Rather than looking at software from a technological perspective, such as analysing how a programme or application is coded, it examines the impact of technological developments and computerisation, such as remote working, Bitcoin, and the increasingly powerful devices we carry in our pockets, on people and society through the lens of the humanities and social sciences. Ultimately, human beings are the consumers and end-users of technology, so it is vital to be aware of the possible implications of such technology on human health, happiness, and relationships.

My CAP stands at 4.82. The highest Honours class I can obtain is Distinction (formerly known as Second Upper Class), because I decided against writing a thesis and as a result am barred from obtaining Highest Distinction (formerly known as First Class). It was a trade-off I made willingly because I abhor research and couldn't fathom spending a year of my short life slaving away over some inconsequential manuscript whose only destiny is to lie in a corner somewhere collecting dust. What sweetened the deal was the recent announcement that effective from my cohort (Cohort 2017) onwards, NM4102: Advanced Communications & New Media Research is no longer a graduation requirement for all CNM Honours students. It is now compulsory only for those writing an Honours thesis or, restated in formal terms, NM4102 is a pre- and co-requisite for NM4401 Honours Thesis. What that means for me is that I can escape from doing research completely and still get my Honours! Several senior colleagues at my internship worksite assured me that there's not much difference to employers between a Highest Distinction and a Distinction, so I went ahead and threw out both NM4401 and NM4102 from my considerations.

As I was on internship for the past half-year, I haven't had to do academic work for quite a while now. Strangely, I kind of miss it because it has been a constant feature in my life and I am the type of person who prefers the familiar. I look forward to the new semester and all the interesting modules I'll be taking with great excitement!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jonathan! I really enjoy reading your blog regarding your FASS life, uni advices and mod reviews :) They have been really helpful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! thanks for blogging about ur uni life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jonathan, as a Y3 CNM student I was wondering ideally during which semester should we starting taking 4000 modules to graduate with honours? If each module is worth 5MCs then we have to take eight in total in the span of two semesters since the site states we need minimum 40MCs level 4000 higher? Will the schedule be too cramped by then?

    ReplyDelete