Thursday 18 May 2017

Thoughts on blogging

This is it. My first post on my personal blog. I have finally taken the plunge, bitten the bullet.

I've been meaning to start my own website for a while now, but never got round to actually making it happen. Part of it was due to laziness, but there was also fear of the unknown. Unlike many others of my generation, I never blogged as a kid or teen. Sure, there were English assignments in primary and secondary school where we had to do a few blogs, but those don't count. They were mandatory, and topics were predetermined. And looking back on those old blogs, I can't help but cringe. Damn, my writing was terrible!

So why now? For a few reasons, actually. First, I have just graduated from poly (yay!) and am waiting for university to start. Now is as good a time as ever to embark on some personal projects that I wouldn't have time for otherwise.

Secondly, I do enjoy writing but often lack a reason for doing it. This blog gives me that. I can publish my written works and share them with others. Hopefully it entertains and informs, and people like reading my stuff and come back for more. I don't need a big fanbase. In fact, I was inspired to start this site by reading the blog of an old man living in a trailer in America who has so few readers that even he jokes about it! As long as I can write and someone out there derives something from it, I am satisfied.

Third, blogging lets me hone my writing skills. People have complimented my writing and standard of English, but I am personally dissatisfied. Studying psychology for the past three years has turned my writing into a long-winded, unintelligible, bombastic nightmare. Have you ever tried to read a scientific journal article? My writing was unreadable like that. I want to practice writing for normal human beings, which will be especially important if I am going into the communications field, so this blog was created.

And finally, this blog serves as a portfolio of sorts, to demonstrate to potential employers or assessors out there that I have produced original content. It also allows me to express my opinions and beliefs, so that such people can judge for themselves whether I would be a suitable candidate.

And here it is! The end of this momentous occasion. I hope you've found this post easy to read (I was going to say "I hope you enjoyed reading this" but realised that there's nothing much to enjoy in this one). Let me know your reactions and suggestions in the comments box, and bookmark this blog if you want to see more next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment