Saturday 5 August 2017

Lay's Thailand: Exotic flavours

A very close friend went to Thailand for a holiday and brought back some Lay's potato chips for me.

The potato-chip enthusiasts among you may know that the Lay's sold in Thailand is quite different from the ones we find here in Singapore. There are so many more exotic flavours to choose from!

Here are the ones I tried:

Hot Chilli Squid


Image from eBay


The chilli was not overpoweringly spicy, allowing the taste of the squid to come through clearly while still providing a nice tingle of mild heat. I ate this pack over a few days, and the chips stayed crisp despite the repeated opening and closing of the bag.

Garlic Butter Scallop


Image from AirFrov


Layers of nuanced and well-balanced notes take turns to fade in and out of the forefront, combining into a harmonious symphony of gastronomic bliss. When you first put the chip in your mouth, you will get all the usual potato-chip experiences: salty, umami and moreish. Then, a hint of garlic fragrance will make itself known, followed up quickly by a familiar yet somewhat unexpected taste of Hokkien mee. Yes, that hawker favourite of fried noodles and seafood. Even the slightly charred smoky smell is there. Delicious! I polished off the entire bag in one sitting because it was just that good.

I have one more flavour my friend bought that I have yet to try. The package for this one is completely written in Thai so I have no idea what the flavour is. When I get around to consuming it, I shall attempt to figure out the ingredients and write another post. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment