Wednesday 9 August 2017

National Day 2017

It's Singapore's 52nd birthday!

I look forward to National Day every year. The whole country just seems so alive!

My favourite part about National Day is the annual theme song. I have a weakness for them! Some of them got panned quite badly but I love them all.

Of course there are some that I like more than others. I tend to associate certain songs with key events in my life, which always seem to happen around this time of year. So you'll notice that a couple of the songs I particularly enjoy are there simply because something important happened to me that year.

What Do You See (2009)


This holds a special place in my heart because it was the soundtrack to my intense preparation for the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE), which is a defining milestone in the life of any Singaporean child. And I scored 271 to top my primary school cohort to boot, making the memory all the sweeter.


Tomorrow's Here Today (2016)


Last year's theme song is also pretty cool as it provided the backdrop to me getting my first job at Adecco Singapore. As I mentioned in another post, that internship was fun, fulfilling and enriching all round. Good times!


Because It's Singapore (2017)


And of course, this year's coincides with me entering university, also a significant event.


My Island Home (2006)


This is here on its own strengths. I just love the melody and lyrics!


Home (1998 and 2004)


Dick Lee is the best local songwriter in my opinion, and Home is hands-down the best National Day song of all time. It's evergreen and can be sung by normal people, but most importantly, its words hold so much meaning and emotion. I remember being in Primary 1 when the version performed by the children's choir was shown on television. The sound was so soulful and left a deep impression on me.


One United People (2003) and We Will Get There (2002)


Both are upbeat pop numbers by local singing sensation Stefanie Sun. They are notable for being among the few National Day songs with a fast tempo. I like their cheerful and positive tone.



I got a little carried away with the list! But really, I seriously adore these songs and listen to them again and again to soak in the festive spirit. Hopefully this post has reminded you of all the wonderful music we've had over the years, and inspired you to go look them up on YouTube just in time to participate in this very special day.

Once again, HAPPY NATIONAL DAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment