Thursday 13 July 2017

Thank you for the memories, Rooney

It's official: Wayne Rooney has gone back to his boyhood club Everton, leaving Manchester United after a hugely successful 13-year spell.

Over the past few months it was looking more and more inevitable that Rooney would leave United. He was frozen out of the first team and his lack of playing time at club level was causing him to be left out of the England squad too. To make matters worse, he was supposedly the captain of both England and United, but often found himself on the bench or at home on matchdays. What a blow that must've been to his confidence, and his reputation.

It was said that Rooney's footballing powers were on the Wayne (wane), but I think he just wasn't being given the chance to prove otherwise. Granted, as he aged, he lost his pace and sharpness in front of goal, but maturity and experience brought him the gift of intelligence and an eye for a pass. During Moyes' tenure when Rooney sometimes played in a deeper midfield position, numerous defences fell prey to his 50-yard cross-field diagonal high balls. He was reinventing himself as a string-puller, teaching himself to unlock backlines by spraying killer passes out wide and behind the fullbacks.

Then he wasn't allowed to play anymore.

I don't know why van Gaal and Mourinho gradually relegated Rooney to the sidelines but I feel he was hard done by. He has a lot left to give. That's my opinion anyway. Admittedly, I am a Rooney fan.

When the transfer was confirmed, I got a bit distressed. All my football-watching life, Rooney has been a Manchester United player. He's scored loads of goals, setting records and contributing to the club winning league title after league title. I've adorned my bedroom walls with his pictures as adoring little boys do the world over, and named a pet hamster after him. I cheered my voice hoarse as the ball left his boot and hit the net, game in and game out. And I felt the pain in my heart when he seemingly broke his metatarsal again in 2010, relief flooding in when it was revealed to be a less serious ankle ligament injury instead.

Now that's he's gone, I'm torn. When Everton play against United next season, I'll probably abstain from supporting either team out of deference to my childhood idol.

It's the least he deserves. Since United won't show him any respect, I shall do it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment