Wednesday 19 July 2017

Why I don't intend to write a biography

Over the years, various people have told me that my life is very interesting and inspirational, and encouraged me to write a book about myself.

But don't hold your breath, because I have no plans to do so anytime soon.

I'd rather stick to blogging like this. There's less pressure to produce content fast enough to meet deadlines while maintaining quality, because the way I blog now is quite casual. I write whenever I want to write and I write about whatever I want to write.

Getting a book published is a whole different ball game. The first challenge would be finding a publisher willing to give me a chance. Then I'll have to contend with numerous editors and sub-editors breathing down my neck constantly. And once the book has crept through to the finishing line, it'll need to stand up for itself in the open market.

Why put myself through the stress?

Quite frankly, the thought of writing an entire book about myself both bores and scares me in turn. I don't think my life is THAT exciting, that people will actually pay money to read about it. I certainly wouldn't pay a virus to buy a biography of someone like me. An ex-soldier who fought in Afghanistan, a famous footballer or singer, yes. But not just any-old-body whose only claim to uniqueness is the fact that he has some exotic disease.

The beauty of writing blog posts is that they are short and each revolve around a different topic. It never gets stale for me because I'm always writing about something new. A book, on the other hand, is a very long piece of writing about the same thing. How painful is that!

I've read biographies by other disabled people and boy were they excellent home remedies for insomnia. The trouble is that disabled people are often held up as figures of inspiration. So when disabled people write their life stories, they play up the element of inspiring-ness, because that's what the public wants to see, and that's what sells more copies.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I love money as much as the next guy. But I'm not going to fleece people out of their hard-earned money to line my own pockets by selling them some cock-and-bull story that's 10% truth and 90% drama.

I'm not about to pander to anyone's fancies. Maybe people do derive inspiration from observing the goings-on in my life. That's cool and they are perfectly welcome to continue. I draw the line at the point where I actually start inducing people to be inspired through my writing.

My writing in this blog aims to entertain. Above all, I want people to read my blog and have a good time. Maybe they'll laugh, maybe they'll cry, maybe they'll learn something new. But most importantly, I hope they will be intrigued and enjoy their experience with my blog.

Preaching has never been on the agenda, and it never will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment